Door to door (D2D) Campaign Instructions/Script
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step (千里之行，始於足下).
1. We want to meet the voters face to face. So, the best time to do the door to door (D2D) campaign is when the voters are at home and at daytime if possible, such as 8:00am to 8:00pm, Monday thru Friday, and 10:00am to 8:00pm on Saturday, and 2:00pm to 8:00pm on Sunday. Do not do it after 8:00pm because it is too late, and do not do it before 10:00 am in the weekend because many people get up late. At least 30% voters are retired, and many of the voters are stay-home moms too. So basically you can meet 50% of the voters no matter what time of the day you go D2D. Pick the time slot that is good for your and start with small steps, like 1 or 2 hours per day.
2. Only knock on the doors of the addresses on the walk list.
3. Check the walk list and read the names of the people and their party affiliation before you knock;
4. If people ask "Who is it?" The best answer to get them open the door is: "I am helping Gang Chen to run for Mayor."
5. When they open the door, there are there is a 3-part script you need to memorize and recite:
Introduction: Hi/hello, we’re/I’m helping Gang Chen run for the mayor of Irvine.
(Have a brief pause here as you hand them the flyer)
Slogan: Our Slogan is, “Join our gang for a better Irvine”, because his first name is Gang, which is a good way to remember his name.
(Have another pause here to let them react to the slogan)
Question: So, would you consider voting for Gang Chen this November 8th?
(This is the most important part, as you will fill out the response form on your precinct sheet according to their response. If the person is busy, skip directly to the question AFTER giving them the flyer.
5. If they ask why, or ask for information, then just say: "Gang Chen's vision is to make Irvine a first-class city but still maintains its family ranch root and feelings. He will improve the city's overall planning, work to alleviate traffic problems, improve education and make Irvine more competitive in a global economic. You can go to our website, GangChenUSA.com for details."
If you can’t memorize this information, just say, “Sorry, I’m a volunteer, but you can refer to the flyer for information.”
7. People may ask: "Which party is Gang Chen affiliated with?" If they are Republican, just say "Gang is a Republican." If they are with other parties, just say "Gang has been an Independent for 12 years, and recently signed up as a moderate Republican." Unless they are a Republican, never say this information unless they ask. If they are a republican, you should point out that Gang is a Republican.
8. Never argue with voters. If they do not agree with you, just smile and say "Thank You!" or “I respect your opinion, but I’m only a volunteer, and have a nice day!” and walk away. Never go into homes or apartments, even if invited.
9. If they are not home, then we can leave them a flyer on the hinge side of their door (Opposite to the door knob). Do NOT put the flyer in the mailbox because that is the property of USPS. Also, add a hand-written note on the flyer next to number 6 on the flyer saying: "Hope to see you next time!" and then sign to make it more personal. If you do not have good hand-writing, you can just leave the flyer without writing anything.
10. After any encounter, no matter if it’s negative of positive, always say “Have a nice day!”
11. If there is a no solicitor sign/locked gate, try calling for the home owner or knocking on the door anyways. A political campaign isn’t considered soliciting, as we aren’t trying to sell anything.
Paid for by Gang Chen for Mayor 2016, FPPC# 1379051
(Script v2.3, 7/16/16) (Author(s) of Current Edit: Will Xu & Gang Chen)